Known as “the PALM” (Pull and Lock Marine connector), the solution delivers LCOE reduction through expediting the marine operations around floating system hook up and disconnect operations. With array-scale developments and O&M strategies based around periodic return to port, the potential cost savings through QCS technology are substantial.
Currently the solution is completing prototype testing and attainment of technology readiness level 6, with commercial readiness attainable by 2025.
Key features of the PALM QCS include:
- Lean and innovative design
- Reduces LCOE by streamlining marine operations
- Suitable for a broad range of devices from array scale floating offshore wind (66kV) to community-scale marine energy power converters
- Minimised marine spread and vessel specification to improve availability
- No need for additional hydraulic or electro-mechanical systems
- No personnel transfer to the floating device needed
- Draws on decades of experience from other sectors, notably floating production