With only a few months to go before our client’s rig needed to be on location and drilling, the need for fast track modifications were identified. With numerous stakeholders heavily involved and invested, this scope was perhaps not even possible, let alone financially viable, given the constraints of the schedule and the complexities for the job.
However, Apollo were up for the challenge and set to work, maximising every opportunity to move the project forward safely and efficiently in spite of significant obstacles. The key component that ensured success on this project was Apollo’s willingness and ability to effectively project manage the entire project, end to end – ultimately delivering ahead of schedule and ensuring enhanced drilling performance.
- An operator completed an assessment of the radiation levels due to flaring from the platform when the jack-up unit is working alongside
- The impact on the derrick, people and equipment during combined operations was considered
- Client asked Apollo to verify this study and confirm the levels of heat radiation at various locations, including derrick and drill floor
- Apollo were asked to quantify the effects of the radiation on the rig and to recommend solutions to manage the heat radiation
What we did:
- Utilised DNV GL software Phast, which is an industry standard consequence analysis tool for performing gas dispersion and flare radiation assessments
- Deployed plots of radiation levels and a diagram of tolerable zones
Value / Benefits:
- High levels of radiation were found for the worst-case wind conditions that could cause instant fatality and damage equipment. It was recommended that measures in place to mitigate the effects
- At the main deck, no risk to personnel was identified, provided that shelter can be found within a few seconds of flaring
- Apollo provided results to make the client aware of the fatality risk at a worst case northerly wind speed of 25 m/s, which could be lifesaving during the event of flaring. It is understood that additional safeguards were put in place